Tooth-Colored Fillings for Kids – Chesterfield, MO
Seamless Cavity Treatment for Kids
More than half of kids develop at least one cavity in their primary (baby) teeth. Decay is also common among older kids and teens after they develop their permanent teeth. Here in our Chesterfield dental practice, we do all we can to help our patients prevent this issue. Sometimes, though, we have to treat decay after it has already occurred. In such cases, we often recommend tooth-colored fillings for kids. This seamless cavity treatment can prevent the problem from worsening and keep your young one’s smile looking its best.
Why Choose Home Sedighi Pediatric Dentistry for Tooth-Colored Fillings?
- Gentle & Compassionate Treatment for Young Smiles
- Metal-Free, Biocompatible Materials
- Experienced & Highly Skilled Team
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
In the old days, dentists always used a material called silver amalgam to fill in cavities and prevent spots of decay from worsening. The amalgam had a dark color and some other disadvantages. Today, though, we can use tooth-colored fillings. As their name implies, they have a subtle white color that can be shade-matched to blend in with the surrounding enamel.
Tooth-colored fillings are also metal-free. They are composed of a composite resin that contains tiny glass and plastic particles. The resin is easy to insert into the teeth, can relieve dental sensitivity, and has the potential to prevent your child from having to undergo more extensive treatments in the future.
The Process of Getting a Tooth-Colored Filling
The tooth-colored filling process is pretty straightforward. Depending on the depth of the cavity, we may get started by applying local anesthesia to the tooth and surrounding tissues. Then, we prepare the tooth to receive the filling by using a drill to remove decayed tissue. Next, we insert the resin and use a curing light to harden it in a matter of seconds. We finish up by adjusting and polishing the filling so it will not interfere with your child’s bite.
The entire process is quite quick. In fact, filling in a single cavity usually takes less than one hour.
The Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Tooth-colored fillings offer a number of remarkable benefits:
- They are metal-free. Therefore, they are ideal for families who are concerned about the potential health risks of amalgam fillings.
- They look incredibly natural. Parents have told us that they cannot tell where we placed their child’s filling.
- They can last for years. With proper care, a tooth-colored filling may endure for 7 years or longer.
- Minimal tooth preparation is required. We only have to remove a small amount of tissue to prepare a tooth to receive a filling.
- They do not worsen sensitivity. Metal fillings may expand and contract, which can damage teeth. They also tend to conduct temperatures, leading to sensitivity. Tooth-colored fillings are free from such issues.